PowerTri

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Challenge of Off-Season


I work +12-hour days...I have three kids all under the age of five...When off-season arrives there are certain expectations and a need to give more attention to specific personal/professional obligations. Don't get me wrong, my priorities will always be; family, job, triathlon; however, the emphasis definitely fluctuates depending on the time of year. No longer can I justify three+ hour workouts a day, especially when the light of day is limited. Besides, I'm easily susceptible to burnout from time to time, therefore specific steps are taken to in order to maintain the motivation necessary to continue improvement. As the days get shorter and the temps begin to drop, there are three key elements I make a priority; frequency, quality, and convenience.
Over the years I've always struggled with quality vs quantity. Should I focus on the heavy mileage at a lower intensity, or should I incorporate more intensity on a regular basis? It goes without saying that a long ride/run will be a part of the weekly routine; however, I've constantly debated the volume-intensity argument for years. It's only recently that outside influences have begun to limit my freedom to experiment with such workouts. No longer can I adjust a ride on the fly and extend it's duration an hour. With my desire to spend quality time with three energetic knee biters at home and the ever increasing military obligations at work, I've decided that frequency, intensity, and convenience will help me maintain a high level of fitness without having to commit obnoxious amounts of time in the pool, on the road, or around the track.
As I get older I've resigned to the fact that I will never exit the water in the lead pack, therefore, I've elected to focus on maintaining my current swimming ability. The most efficient way I can do this is through frequent swims (2-3K, five days a week) at a higher intensity. That way I'm able to get in and out without drastically effecting the schedule (mine or my family's). As far as the bike, I prefer to commute to work, accumulating over an hour in the saddle. Add the large climb and the additional weight from a backpack and it makes for a intense session. Finally, the run is slightly more difficult and needs to be specifically scheduled sometime during the day. With the addition of a Computrainer/treadmill I'm able to get in some miles after the kiddos go to bed. As far as intensity, I know my body cannot handle high mileage at a higher effort level. Instead, I've decided to adopt the Maffetone approach, maintaining the same heart rate throughout every mile. With consist 4am wake-ups from my children, knocking out several miles every morning has allowed me the luxury to only sacrifice a couple hours a week during work day hours to accomplish longer runs. With a focus on frequency, intensity, and convenience I'm able to maintain my priorities and still pursue my athletic goals and setting my sights on the road to Kona...

1 comment:

  1. Nice write up Scott! I really appreciate reading your perspective as a dad. Often times I think wife/mother athletes (including myself) tend to think we're the only ones that have it hard, so I really respect you working so hard to work around your kids and job.

    ReplyDelete