PowerTri

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Approach to IM Training


After listening to Craig Alexander discuss his total weekly mileage during a podcast interview, I started to scour the Internet for information pertaining to Ironman training volume. I am simply amazed by the drastic spectrum of approaches to training. Based on some of my recent findings, I elected to inquire about Michael Weiss' training during our group ride today. At first I was a little hesitant to ask him questions, mainly because this is their livelihood and some may be gun shy to divulge their secrets; however, Weiss was more than willing and very candid about his training. Several elements to his approach to training surprised me. First off was the swim frequency and volume he does on a weekly basis; six swims a week with a total hovering around 20+ miles! With a mountain biking background, Weiss has spent the last two years learning how to swim. In order to compete at that level he needs to drop his swim by another five minutes or so, according to Weiss. He also mentioned he does mostly longer sets (300s, 400s, etc...) with shorter rest intervals and does not spend too much time doing sets of repeat 50s/100s where most of us thrive. Other components to his training that amazed me was his approach to running. Weiss only runs about 40 miles a week. However, these miles are all quality to include a weekly track workout (repeat 400s, 800s, etc...). His longest run is 2:30 (18ish miles) max at an average pace of 7:00. For those of you familiar with the Santa Fe Trail, Weiss runs north from downtown Colorado Springs towards the Academy which is slightly up hill. The flat miles are around 6:30 pace whereas the hilly miles are a bit slower. After he noticed I was a bit shocked Weiss added that Andy Potts does not go over 1:45 for his long run when training for an Ironman. Weiss also stated that he has a fairly deep background in cycling and continues to focus on the bike in order to improve his overall endurance and strength. Now I know most of us mere mortals cannot transcribe their training directly into what we do and expect miracles. We simply do not have the genes, aptitude, resources, nor the time to reach a fraction of their level, but there are functions of their approach to training that can definitely enhance our abilities. This has definitely made me question my approach to training. With my weekly run volume between 50-60 miles, I'm definitely going to reconsider the frequency, quality, and volume of my workouts... Michael Weiss was very forthcoming and patient and I appreciate his generosity. Although we will never reach comparable achievements, when can be inspired to pursue and attain that next PR.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing with us! Very interesting to say the least. Hard to figure out what exactly works best for oneself, right?
    Sarah (Team PowerTri)

    ReplyDelete